Do not copy any of my artwork, poetry or photography without my permission.

Do not copy any of my artwork, poetry or photography without my permission.
....carpe diem. The Daylily. "Be like the flower, turn your face to the sun." Khalil Gibran. She gives her all for just one day then bows her head to God and fades away to nourish the next generation. God I pray I may give my all each day to honor you and bow my head at the end to nourish the next generation. Peggy Jones. NOTE............ Please folks do not copy any of my art or photos on my blog without my permission. Thank you for your good manners.

Blogs full of blessings

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Vintage Thingie Thursday and Tea Talk Thursday with Ruth

Vintage Thingie Thursday
 I'm a little late but on Wednesday I had a most wonderful time on a little trip to my old home town to meet up with a long lost cousin that I had not seen for about 60 years.

We had a most wonderful day. Some of her friends came by also who were girls I grew up with.

We laughed and cried and all the things adult girls always do after years of different lives.

I took a drive around my town and went to the home of my grandparents were I grew up.
That reminded me of my grandparents.
It is  surprising how small that big old house used to look to me.
The little shed where he kept his push mower is still there. Next door was a vacant field where the cow grazed that he milked twice a day.
There is no vacant field any more. 
A huge subdivision is there now.

This is my grandfather's prayer book.
I remember seeing him reading it every day.



 It is a book of Catholic Novenas.
I found this on the internet to explain novenas for those not familiar with the word.
 Q: What is the Novena? How did it start? What is it supposed to achieve? What are its benefits to us? 
  A: The novena is a form of devotion popular in many countries. The history goes back to the seventeenth century when novenas became a devotion preparing major feast days or festivals or important decisions in one's life. During nine days people, individually or collectively, say specific prayers depending on the scope or meaning of the novena, often times in connection with special indulgences. Novena, from nine days, has biblical roots and reflects the nine days of preparation the apostles and Mary underwent before they received the Holy Spirit (Acts 1, 13f). There are numerous novenas -- from novenas to St. Theresa of the Child Jesus to that of St. John Vianney. Many are Marian (for example, Novena to the Queen of Novena Apostles or to the Miraculous Medal), other have a Christological focus (for example, Novena to the Infant of Prague or to Jesus Master of Way, Truth and Life).
The purpose of novenas is one of preparation, purification and concentration. They help us to better celebrate an important feast day or to better make decisions with the help of God and in full possession of our spiritual strength. It is an opportunity to live a specially graced time, and is like a spiritual pilgrimage to a center of even greater grace.


Have a glorious Thursday

Go here for more VTT


I am hooking up with VTT and TTT also.




Tea Time with Ruth.


 Well we have a little cool snap so no tea and snack on the deck.

Using my favorite dainty china cup and saucer with a black Luzanne tea. Hot and strong for a cool morning.
Thinking about my fun visit with my cousin in my old home town yesterday.
Oh how things have changed but stay the same. There were at least 4 large, one time thriving clothing businesses, stores sitting empty on the Main St.
The old Courthouse is there but a huge brand new one sits across the street taking up an entire block.
Justice Centers they are called now.
I guess it takes a lot more room for justice issues these days.

The huge statue of Abraham Lincoln is still the center of the Justice Center.


“I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong.”


Go here for more visiting around with Ruth and friends.


 

5 comments:

Shelly Ward said...

Thank you so much for sharing. Visiting with family and friends can be such a joy. I love your vintage pic of your grandfathers novena. I had asked that my grandfather's bible be passed on to me when he passed and am so glad that I received it. I love to look at the items he placed inside that meant something to him and to read things he wrote in the margins. Items like this are priceless. God Bless You.

Daniella said...

What a lovely story!! Seeing relatives you haven't seen in 60 years? AMAZING! and the old friends, so wonderful!!

Your grandfathers devotional book is a fabulous piece for showing, truely wonderful!

xxDaniella

A Bit of the Blarney said...

What a grand post! It's chilly here too! A good day to clean house...nothing much else to do! Have a wonderful day! Cathy

Anvilcloud said...

No tea on the deck?! My heart aches for you. :)

Ruth said...

Beautiful quote, Peggy. Thanks for having tea with us again @ Tea Talk.
I'm sure it was a nostalgic time you spent in your old town. I haven't visited a cousin for a long time now. Reading your post made me long to see them.

Have a beautiful weekend. Blessings!