Do not copy any of my artwork, poetry or photography without my permission.

Do not copy any of my artwork, poetry or photography without my permission.
....carpe diem. The Daylily. "Be like the flower, turn your face to the sun." Khalil Gibran. She gives her all for just one day then bows her head to God and fades away to nourish the next generation. God I pray I may give my all each day to honor you and bow my head at the end to nourish the next generation. Peggy Jones. NOTE............ Please folks do not copy any of my art or photos on my blog without my permission. Thank you for your good manners.

Blogs full of blessings

Monday, December 7, 2015

Pearl Harbor day, the person it made me into. -Advent/Grand Social



Second Sunday in Advent.
Today's reflection
"Kindness and truth shall meet; justice and peace
shall kiss. Justice shall walk before God and salvation along the way of God's steps."
Ps. 85:11-12,14
Pearl Harbor Day was a frantic time in my family's life.
Three uncles in the service and one in the South Pacific. We did not know at the time he was not at Pearl Harbor so it was a time of praying and waiting.
Not just for our boys but the entire country.
WWII was probably the major influence on my entire young life. Our generation could only follow the example of our adult members as I was only about 5 years old but I can remember as if it was yesterday.
The following years after the war shaped my entire personality in that I  was raised in the simple life and taught to be proud of anything we had, and still believe that and have taught our 6 children to live like that.
Two of my mom's brothers that served during WWII.
The soldier on the left in the back was in the South Pacific when Pearl Harbor hit. The sailor was in Rio de Janario. The third solder, not seen here, was in Alaska.
This pic was taken just after the war ended and they were home.
Polin Edelen, Joe Edelen, my mom, George Edelen.
Richard Edelen was not in this pic, he served in the army.
Second row, Jimmy Edelen, son of Joe, me and my sister Betty.
At the botton is my mom's fifth brother who did not serve as he had a disability.
One of the things that I love about this photo is that every thing my sister and I had on was made by our mother or grandmother.
Coats, hat, skirt, blouse and yes even underwear.
I was taught very young to sew. Made my first entire dress in 8th grade with help from 4-H. Won a blue ribbon on that dress.
I guess I grew up knowing if you couldn't make you didn't have it.
Butter, I hated churning, cheese, homebaked bread,  our own chickens, canned vegetable and fruits from our own gardens and orchards, If you are near my age, 78, you know what I mean.
All in all, America made me who I am today.
Hang on America we will return to better days.
Go 
to link up with
Grand Social




3 comments:

grownchildren.net said...

As many in the country talk of going to war--boots on the ground!--to fight terrorism, it's good to remember the fear and trembling for families during war time and to make sure that we as a country understand what we are doing and why.

Unknown said...

So good to find your blog. True words. We must not be afraid that is part of the propaganda. I can remember saying iron, tin cans and rationing during the war. We all had something to do. We felt like it was OUR war. Not until Tom Brokow wrote his book and I read it as an adult did I find out that was all positive propaganda. We need to try something positive like that again. Anything but war. Blessings to you and yours.

Unknown said...

that should say, saving iron, etc. Once a week someone came to pick it up.