Do not copy any of my artwork, poetry or photography without my permission.

Do not copy any of my artwork, poetry or photography without my permission.
....carpe diem. The Daylily. "Be like the flower, turn your face to the sun." Khalil Gibran. She gives her all for just one day then bows her head to God and fades away to nourish the next generation. God I pray I may give my all each day to honor you and bow my head at the end to nourish the next generation. Peggy Jones. NOTE............ Please folks do not copy any of my art or photos on my blog without my permission. Thank you for your good manners.

Blogs full of blessings

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Regrets and respect

The last member of my mother's family is being buried today in another state.
His funeral is there but his body will be brought back here to our state for burial in a national military cemetery.

He was the youngest member of their family.
Lived to the ripe old age of 89.
I had not know for years were he lived and had no contact with him and his only son once they left our state.

This uncle helped raise me during the nine years that we lived with our grandparents and I was always close to him and his wife.
HH and I visted them when they lived in two different states.
Planned our vacations around where they lived in order to stop by for a visit.
Never in all of  my married life did they ever visit me.
I had invited them to holiday celebrations at our home several times but they never came even though at the time they did not live far from me in our native state.
Something happened many years ago between he and my brother and I got drug into it.
I never got the chance to discuss this with him and clear the air.
I asked my brother to go to the burial with me today which is about 30 miles for each of us.
He refused to go and I am not going either.
It is raining and very cold.
An excuse?

Probably and I feel so sad that I could not make myself go, out of respect.
He was an honored naval sailor and will be buried with military honors.

George Leonard Edelen

Because I am the oldest grandchild, I am now the oldest living member of this family. 

I feel I should be there out of respect.

But I just cannot bring myself to go.

May he rest in peace.

       

3 comments:

Vee said...

Sending you a gentle hug today just because these regrets are a part of our lives and they can plague us if we allow them to. Be gentle with yourself today and don't beat yourself up. Your uncle wouldn't want that.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

remember the good things in your heart, let go memories of that incidence.

Rudee said...

Every family has their rifts, no? I am quite sure, knowing you, that he is with you in your heart...even from a distance.

Peace, sister.