Do not copy any of my artwork, poetry or photography without my permission.

Do not copy any of my artwork, poetry or photography without my permission.
....carpe diem. The Daylily. "Be like the flower, turn your face to the sun." Khalil Gibran. She gives her all for just one day then bows her head to God and fades away to nourish the next generation. God I pray I may give my all each day to honor you and bow my head at the end to nourish the next generation. Peggy Jones. NOTE............ Please folks do not copy any of my art or photos on my blog without my permission. Thank you for your good manners.

Blogs full of blessings

Friday, April 20, 2012

Sepia Saturday 122

Sepia Saturday



 
Students at school 

Academic classes, fine arts, music, physical education, clerical skills, home economics were offered here and it was one of the premier schools in the state.
Rich girls, poor girls, no one was turned away. 
The Sisters made it happen. 

This is the main street of the campus and the very same avenue where soldiers were cared for during the Civil War regardless of which side they fought on.
This sacred ground was declared a demilitarized  zone and still is to this day.

 

Photo from "Impelled by the Love of Christ" 

History of Sisters of Charity of Nazareth Kentucky

1912-1924

by

Frances Krumpelman, SCN

 

Definition of ACADEMY

1
a : a school usually above the elementary level; especially : a private high school b : a high school or college in which special subjects or skills are taught c : higher education —used with the <the functions of the academy in modern society>
Nazareth Academy was founded in 1814 in a log cabin in the country outside of Bardstown Ky. The Sisters of Charity of Nazareth religious congregation was only 2 years old having been founded in 1812 by Catherine Spalding and a couple of other local girls at the request of  Bishop David who saw the need for a school in the new state of Kentucky.


In 1922, with 25 students, the school was moved to the new campus of the Sisters of Charity a few miles north of the original founding location.
The first high school diploma was awarded to the students in 1925 by Henry Clay.
In 1921 a Junior College was added and in 1938 the Junior College became a 4 year college with degrees in education.
The academy was then closed and the campus functioned as a college until it was moved into Louisville Kentucky  in the late 40's.
In 1950 Nazareth College awarded the first baccalaureate degree in nursing in the state of Kentucky.
Today this beautiful campus is still the site of the Motherhouse of the Sisters of Charity, Nazareth Village I and II a senior retirement complex, Nazareth Retreat Center, Montessori School, Community gardening spot, offering areas for our town citizens  to have their own little garden plot.
When college classes were offered here I took my basic college classes and then went to U of Ky. for my nursing.
I am out there several times a week for various things and it is a happening place.


Go here for more Sepia Saturday





 
 

9 comments:

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

my uniform skirt was navy blue like this

North County Film Club said...

From log cabin to a respected college. That shows real dedication to education. I love that they also have a community garden.
Nancy

Little Nell said...

Isn't it lovely to still be able to visit what sounds like a great place, but which also must hold some wonderful memories for you? I do like the sound of the community gardens; what an inspired idea.

Wendy said...

Hurray for the Sisters of Charity. It's amazing how much an unassuming little order of nuns could accomplish.

Bob Scotney said...

That's an imposing avenue, full of the bloom of youth.

Bruno Laliberté said...

Nice spin on Alan's photograph.
Sisters did make it happen!!
I went to primary school
with the Sisters of St Anne ,
a private school where they prided themselves with our academic achievements.
Failure was not an option.
:D~
HUGZ

Postcardy said...

The Catholic girls' high school for the area where I grew up was also called Nazareth.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

First of all, I love your new background!

This post is so neat; loved the history of the academy and seeing where you went to school.

Kathy M.

Linda said...

Inspiring to know this was sacred ground where both sides of Civil War could be tended to. Makes sense about the nuns, they fly under the radar and do some wonderful things. I still think about the Holy Cross nuns who taught me in grammar school.