Do not copy any of my artwork, poetry or photography without my permission.

Do not copy any of my artwork, poetry or photography without my permission.
....carpe diem. The Daylily. "Be like the flower, turn your face to the sun." Khalil Gibran. She gives her all for just one day then bows her head to God and fades away to nourish the next generation. God I pray I may give my all each day to honor you and bow my head at the end to nourish the next generation. Peggy Jones. NOTE............ Please folks do not copy any of my art or photos on my blog without my permission. Thank you for your good manners.

Blogs full of blessings

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Sepia Saturday #96 Theme is very wide, cooks, chairs, war, many things noted in Alan's presentation

Sepia Saturday
Today's theme is very  wide as can be seen in Alan's presentation.


 

Using my faithful collection of old photos and history
I found this in
Washington County Kentucky Bicentennial History
1792 - 1992
Photo Courtesy of Bill Pettus

Chairs


Double click for detail.
 Antiques in the making, Pettus showroom, Cross Main and Water Stree, c.1920 in Springfield, Ky. where I grew up.
Note Victrolas on left, coal stoves in center, cane back chairs in foreground,paint department to right.
(Courtesy of Billy Pettus)

By the time I can remember this business it was Pettus Lumber Company, selling lumbar and building supplies only.
The person submitting this photo was a boy I grew up with in our small town.
He never went into the family business started by his grandfather but after college became the owner of an insurance and reality company in our town along with his best friend.
He married the sister of his partner and the two families still own this company in my home town.


Go here for more great photos and stories of days gone by.






10 comments:

North County Film Club said...

Oh I wish I had those chairs now. They're real beauties. Wonder where they ended up. Great old photo.
Nancy Javier
Ladies of the grove

Postcardy said...

It looks almost like a group of people got together, but the people are missing.

Christine H. said...

I wish I could go back in time and buy one of those chairs :)

Unknown said...

G'eve Peggy ~
What lovely vintage pictures, & the history to go along with them. Genealogy is such a fun thing to immerse oneself in ... & all the other wonderful data/pics you stumble on in the searches.

Hope all is well with you.

Have a beautiful weekend
TTFN ~
Hugs,
Marydon

Little Nell said...

It always amazes me that someone would photograph a shop interior with no people to be seen. Thank goodnesss they had the foresight to do so however, or we would be deprived of so much evidnece of how people used to live. It’s a grand collection of really solidly built chairs.

Liz Stratton said...

A great find - the interior of the store. So often the pictures were only taken outside.

Brett Payne said...

What an interesting photograph, and a fine memento to have of one's ancestors' workplace. Personally, I think this style of chair is particularly uncomfortable.

21 Wits said...

Oh wow, this is the cooooolest grouping of chairs I've seen in a long, looooooong time!

Martin said...

That's some solid looking furniture, and some serious coal stoves.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

It's so interesting to see the furniture of the time.