Do not copy any of my artwork, poetry or photography without my permission.

Do not copy any of my artwork, poetry or photography without my permission.
....carpe diem. The Daylily. "Be like the flower, turn your face to the sun." Khalil Gibran. She gives her all for just one day then bows her head to God and fades away to nourish the next generation. God I pray I may give my all each day to honor you and bow my head at the end to nourish the next generation. Peggy Jones. NOTE............ Please folks do not copy any of my art or photos on my blog without my permission. Thank you for your good manners.

Blogs full of blessings

Friday, July 1, 2011

Sepia Saturday #81

Q street in Georgetown - This red brick mansion was built by the Bealls and occupied by them until 1796. "Dumbarton" later belonged to Joseph Nourse, first Register of Treasury, and to Charles Carroll. It is now the headquarters for the National Society of the colonial Dames of America. Dolly Madison fled here when the British burned the White House in 1814. 



Since the Bealls and Charles Carroll are in my family tree this photo was sent to be via Ancestry.com by another woman who shares my family tree.
Pretty neat.

Go here for more SS







15 comments:

Pondside said...

Wouldn't you like to spend a night there?!

Alan Burnett said...

Great photograph .... and, by the way, I know it is a little late in the day, but sorry about that White House fire.

Little Nell said...

Neat indeed. ‘The Colonial Dames of America’ - what a wonderful title.

Anvilcloud said...

"National Society of the colonial Dames of America"? Who knew?

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

It's wonderful to have a photo of somewhere that was so important in your family tree, and so long ago.

Postcardy said...

I never heard of the "National Society of the Colonial Dames of America" before, so I looked it up. The name is confusing because there is also a "Colonial dames of America."

Unknown said...

I'm not familiar with those names or this place but it looks grand. Where is it?

Bob Scotney said...

A really imposing house to have connected to the family. I'm still trying to lay claim to a stake in Scotney Castle - wishful thinking I'm sure.

Rudee said...

Too bad she didn't send you the deed to that beauty, too.

Mike Brubaker said...

This place is known in music for the Dumbarton Oaks Concerto composed by Igor Stravinsky on commission from Mildred Bliss. I recommend it.

Christine H. said...

Beautiful building. Nice to look at and dream about...all the what ifs.

Martin Lower said...

What a lovely old house!

Bruno Laliberté said...

see? one learns something new everyday!! i didn't know the white house had been set on fire by the brits...

they've burned a few things down here too!! will Alan apoligize for that too?? poor guy!! if he apologizes for everything done in the past, he'll never have a free moment, even if he lived 'till 150 years old...

it does seem charming. can one rent this for the summer???
;)~
HUGZ

Brett Payne said...

Not quite the White House, but good enough for a decent night's sleep, methinks.

tony said...

as Alan has Already said,Sorry From The English for burning The White House (I didn't actually know we had done that!).
Saying That, Your Photo Shows A Fine Alternative!