Do not copy any of my artwork, poetry or photography without my permission.

Do not copy any of my artwork, poetry or photography without my permission.
....carpe diem. The Daylily. "Be like the flower, turn your face to the sun." Khalil Gibran. She gives her all for just one day then bows her head to God and fades away to nourish the next generation. God I pray I may give my all each day to honor you and bow my head at the end to nourish the next generation. Peggy Jones. NOTE............ Please folks do not copy any of my art or photos on my blog without my permission. Thank you for your good manners.

Blogs full of blessings

Friday, October 29, 2010

Sepia Saturday Week# 47 Churchill Downs

Sepia Saturday Number # 47
Churchill Downs



In 1955 Sports Illustrated was first published and, wanting their magazine to stand out from the rest of the sports oriented magazines, hired Nobel prize winner William Faulkner to come to Louisville to watch and write about the Derby. What better way was there to set Sports Illustrated apart from the rest of the sports rags?

Faulkner always painted scenes with a broad brush and opened his piece by writing about Daniel Boone’s exploration and opening of Kentucky to people wanting to settle here. He ended his narrative without bothering to mention the name of the horse who won the Derby that year.
It was Swaps ridden by Willie Shewmaker.


“Only a little over two minutes: one simultaneous metallic clash as the gates spring. Though you do not really know what it was you hear: whether it was that metallic crash, or the simultaneous thunder of the hooves in that first leap or the massed voices, the gasp, the exhalation--whatever it was, the clump of horses indistinguishable yet, like a brown wave dotted with the bright silks of the riders like chips flowing toward us along the rail until, approaching, we can begin to distinguish individuals, streaming past us now as individual horses--horses which (including the rider) once stood about eight feet tall and 10 feet long, now look like arrows twice that length and less than half that thickness, shooting past and bunching again as perspective diminishes, then becoming individual horses once more about the turn into the backstretch, streaming on, to bunch for the last time into the homestretch itself, then again individuals, individual horses, the individual horse, the Horse: 2:01 4/5 minutes."



Lots of things have changed at Churchill Downs but the 
Twin Spires will stand til the LAST horse is run.


Go here to see more Sepia Saturday 


Day 6 grateful for the wonderful woman Madonna who teaches me basket making.
I am so blessed to have her for my friend now.
Grateful for all my artistic friends who help make my life so full of joy.
Thank dear God for friends.

 

7 comments:

Vee said...

The story of Faulkner writing about the race is new to me, but oh can he write! He is like some news reporters who leave out the most important thing, but perhaps he can be forgiven.

tony said...

I'm Off Down To The Betting Office this afternoon to see if SWAPS is running today! If so,My money is on him!

Anvilcloud said...

"Up with The Downs," say I.

MuseSwings said...

Perhaps he wrote the story before the race. Always meant to update it but was off to another story and left it as it was.

Unknown said...

I just happened to run across this story because of the pictures and the sepia of Churchill Downs. I am sure the magazine had the picture of the winning horse and rider and owner and trainer and just wanted Faulkner's magic of the descriptive word from the literary artist's point of view.
QMM

Anonymous said...

Very interesting...I wasn't familiar with this story. We recently saw the movie "Secretariat". It was a great movie! Have you seen it?

Nancy said...

Descriptive magic, indeed! He took me right there, to the front of the racetrack, watching, breathless! It's a great post and I love the photos!